Monday, November 17, 2008

The Land of the Trembling Earth

Hello everyone!

It's back to work today...and it's COLD. Most people would not consider 40 degrees cold, but to this native Floridian, anything below 65 is not favorable weather. But I will survive. It doesn't help that they keep it like an ice box in my office, however. I have to keep reminding myself...offer it up, offer it up. I really should be grateful to have this job, especially since so many people don't have jobs right now. Lord, help me to be thankful for all you have given me.

And I thank the Lord for the special day I had yesterday with my parents. The three of us went to Okefenokee NWR for the day. Okefenokee means "Land of the Trembling Earth", and was so named by the local native americans because of the floating peat moss islands which "tremble" when walked on. It was a chilly day, but the scenery was worth braving the cold weather. We first went to the Chesser Homestead, which was built in the 1820s. It was a special treat for my dad because he grew up in a house very similar to this homestead. And it was neat for me to actually see what life was like for my dad growing up. Here is a shot I took of the front of the house. It's made of yellow pine, and the caretakers of the home told us that very few boards have been replaced since it was built. That is just AMAZING to me. One other neat thing that I learned was that in those days, homesteaders would clear the yard surrounding the house of all vegetation, and they would sweep the dirt constantly to keep new vegetation from popping up. This was done to keep wildfires away from the home and also for better visibility in watching out for poisonous snakes. I can only imagine how difficult life was like back then. We have it so easy and comfortable these days, as far as home maintainance and upkeep (at least for the majority of Americans).


The other adventure for the day was a 90-min boat ride down the Suwanee Canal, which provided numerous opportunities for spectacular views of the brilliant orange needles of the cypress trees. I took soooo many pictures. It was very beautiful, and something you really can't see anywhere else in this country. It's hard to choose just two pictures to capture the experience, but my break time is over and I have to get back to work. The first is a panoramic shot of the canal as we were heading back to the dock. The second is a close-up shot of the orange hue of the cypress needles. We wrapped up the day with a scrumptious dinner at Cracker Barrel. Chicken 'n' Dumplings...yummmm!!!!
In God's Infinite Love,
Yvette

No comments:

Post a Comment